- Over 23,000 vehicles travel the route each day with vehicle numbers increasing.
- There are tight and difficult corners along parts of the route as well as very narrow shoulders and poor visibility.
- Between 2009 and 2018, there were 209 crashes on this stretch of road. 13 people were killed and 45 people were seriously injured.
- People have told us that they feel that there is safety risk on the road at the Mahurangi West Road due to previous crashes here.
Along with the devasting effect on families and communities, crashes on this route can cause extensive delays and long detours if there are road closures.
Note: Statistics are correct at the time they were produced.
What we’re proposing
Based on what we know, we think the following speeds would be safer:
- Reducing the speed from 100km/h to 80km/h on SH1 from L Phillips Road (near SheepWorld) to Kaipara Flats Road.
- Reducing the speed from 100km/h to 80km/h from south of Warkworth to Pūhoi.
The proposed changes to speed limits would have minimal impact on travel time. Based on current average speeds, if we were to reduce the speed limit as proposed above, we estimate it will only take you 10 seconds more to travel this stretch of road.
View larger map [PDF, 1.1 MB]